Saturday, January 31, 2009

Decisions and minor frustrations

I know I must sound manic.. ecstatic one day and frustrated the next and I'm sure some of it is hormones but well.. such is life.

Today's frustration and confusion came from my workout. I've been noticing that I burn WAY more calories in 30 minutes on the elliptical than 30 minutes on the treadmill.

For example, yesterday in 30 minutes on the elliptical I burned 400 calories, and I stayed "at a higher level of aerobic activity" for an additional hour, burning a total of 580 calories.

Treadmill (on Monday) for 30 minutes burned 294 calories and the lasting effect after an hour netted only a total of 425 calories.

In addition to the NUMBERS, I feel a lot better after an elliptical workout. I have that extra hitch in my step and feel like bouncing off the walls. After a treadmill workout, I'm exhausted - ready for a nap! So.

I guess I've made my decision, I'm just looking for support on it. At least for now, until I shed some more weight, I'm going to focus on Elliptical workouts. As the weather breaks, and races get closer (and I'm MUCH lighter) I will resume my 5k training. But for now, my main goal is to lose weight and so that's what I'll do.

The down side to this is that I won't have any neat little nike+ graphics for the elliptical (it doesn't work on ellipticals) I've also found myself paying less attention to elliptical mileage and just pushing as hard as I can and I listen to Great Big Sea --- my inspiration :)

So there it is, now I'm going to go get some yummy BBQ chicken and brown rice.

I leave for Columbus tomorrow...


My last (for awhile) run data:

2 Comments:

Irene said...

Generally, you burn about 100 calories (more or less) for each mile you run.

Are you taking the stats from the machine or are you using something like a Body Bugg? Sometimes the machines, both elliptical and tredmill, are not calibrated properly for counting calories.

MJ said...

I was using the stats from my BodyBugg.

Golf Results

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online