Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blast from the Past

So today I got an IM from an old friend. The premise was business but the result was great. It was so nice chatting and catching up and things are really go well for both of us! It's strange how just that tiny reconnection with a friend can make you smile... minutes... after the conversation is over - and of course, no one can even see that I'm smiling. In fact one of my favorite quotes is "If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it." By Andy Rooney I think it's very true. If no one is around you are smiling for yourself, because it's what you REALLY feel. (this conversation also proved to be a much better alternative than the ice cream sundae I was going to have!)

OK enough of that .. back to business...
It looks like I get to start reading a new book tomorrow - I think I"ll end VERY close tonight, but not quite enough. I did however go out and buy the book today.. so it will be ready and waiting for me.
I learned an important lesson today - or rather figured out a potentially disasterous problem. The last few days, when I've been kicking my own butt at the gym, I 've come home and had a terrible upset stomach. I've eaten like I should but both Wed and Thur I headed to bed early in an attempt to make it go away. Today when I got home from the gym, it happened again, after successfully devouring a pita with turkey and cheese and strawberries (The strawberries weren't in the pita!) . So I did some research and found that one cause of an upset stomach after a workout is dehydration. UH OH. So today, as I was feeling rotten, I re-filled my water bottle and continued sipping on it... and tada! it went away. I now know (especially on days when I really push myself) I need to keep drinking water, long after my workout is over.

Today on the treadmill (and the 3 mins or so on the bike) the bottoms of my feet were killing me. Any ideas why? I also got on the new Precor elliptical/stepper machine. I didn't like it. It's cool, it adjusts to your strides so you can be doing steps, a short stride, or long stride like skiing. But I had a hard time keeping it where I wanted it. After running on the treadmill, I wanted to just work my quads - my calves were beat up enough. I think I'll stick to the regular ellipticals from now on.

Yesterday was my rest day - and I decided I really deserved it. So I curled up on the couch and watched "Catch Me if You Can"

I guess that's all for now. This week's motivational quote has been "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over is you just sit there." I have to remind myself to get up an move sometimes!

1 Comment:

Irene said...

I love when friends sort of show up like that! How fun!

How old are your running shoes? When anything begins to hurt, check the shoes first, then go from there.

Golf Results

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online