Monday, July 7, 2008

Walking With Dad

So I was sitting on the couch working on my school stuff (I'm taking classes this summer) when my Dad gave me a message to relay if my cousin called. I asked where he was going and long story short- he was going for a walk! I asked if I could tag along.
We walked at his pace. His back has been bothering him, but I'm ecstatic that he wants to exercise. Every little bit helps. So I grabbed my iPod - no I didn't listen to the music, but I recorded how far/fast we went. The big dip is where we came across a downed cable and talked to the policeman for a little bit, helping him set up the caution tape. We went for a total of 2 blocks around our house.

The picture above is of Dad and I at his retirement reception at work on June 26, 2008. Here's another one of my favorite ones of me and Dad. It's from April 2007.












But this has to be my ALL TIME favorite one! (yes, I know it's blurry- but i Love it!)


So as I was uploading and getting the code to add the visual of our run, I came across a really cool thing that's happening on August 31, 2008. It's the Nike+ Human Race. It's a 10k that's being held in 25 cities worldwide PLUS you can participate at home by using your Nike+ and uploading the data. I know it is WAY too soon for me to actually run a 10k right? But I figure I'd try the training program and since I'm just doing it at home, if I have to walk 5k of it- then fine. It just seems like such a neat thing to be a part of. You can also order a t-shirt that has a unique runner's number on it. OK I'm frustrated, I've been trying to load the Nike store and it's not working. But the shirts look really cool- trust me!
Am I crazy? As of right now I'm planning on just heading down to the park and going the 10k, but I might see if there is an actual race in this area. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Michelle said...

I was just looking at The Human Race thing somewhere a couple days ago. If it inspires you I think you should do it!!

Nice time with your dad. Glad he's wanting to move more too.

Jim Smith II said...

Just Do It! (Sorry, couldn't resist). Seriously though, even though it says it's a "Race" that doesn't mean you have to "Race". The biggest thing is to participate, and if that means you walk some I *guarantee* you won't be the only one. Instead think of the difference you're making, not just in your own life but other people's as well.

Good luck!

Golf Results

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online