Saturday, July 12, 2008

Starting Over

First things first. I've been without internet for the past 2 days.. AHHH. But it appears to be at least pseudo-fixed. YAY.
Thursday I golfed 9 holes, then played a 9-hole scramble. Our scramble won! YAY. We finished 3 under.
Yesterday I spent the morning at the golf course then went out and golfed. I did well. I shot a 42, with several GREAT par saves and a birdie. It was a fun night.
I've been listening to some great podcasts(GolfSmarter.com) - if you are a golfer you should really check them out.

-- so I lost connection mid message-- BLAH! (But I kept writing, in case it came back on)

I'm learning a lot and finding out about a bunch of books I'd love to read.
I also bought a few books about running - Sole Sisters (I've read 3 stories so far- Wendy was right. This is definitely a must read for EVERY runner! I also bought a Women's Running books that has a lot about training and equipment and mentality and racing, just kind of an all in one book. So it is after reading through some of this that I am going to start over in my running training. (especially considering everything I've done has been my own creation- and I don't know anything - lol.) So I'm going to use the beginning guide in the book. Instead of trying to go a full 5k everytime, I'm going to work on building up to running for 30 minutes straight. Now I have to see if my ipod will help me with this. I don't wear a watch, so I may have to change my "running increments" into number of songs rather than minutes. The suggested running plan is as follows:
Each workout should add up to 30 minutes and should be done 3-5 days a week.
Week 1: Walk 10min, Run/walk 10min (running segments 2 min), Walk 10 min
Week 2: Walk 8mins, Run/walk 14min (run 4 min segs.), Walk 8 min
Week 3: Walk 5mins, Run/Walk 20min (run 6 min segs), Walk 5min
Week 4: Walk few mins, Run 7 min, recover, Run 7 min, Walk to end. (build 7 mins to 10 mins by end of week)
Week 5: Walk 3 mins, run 12 mins, Walk 3, Run 12 - build run to 15.
Week 6: Walk 5 run, run 20, walk 5- increasing run to 30 over week.

Well in terms of songs, I will make a playlist that is very close to these times. I think I like being motivated by song changes rather than watching a clock. In fact, right now I'm going to go over (to the other computer) and make the playlists. I'll post them when I've finished making them.
6 weeks from today will be August 23, which will give me one more week before the 10k. My plan will be to run 5k (or at least 30 minutes) and walk the rest.

Well - since I had no internet most of the day, I went out and tried my new playlists. I like it. It was hard (it was well into the 90s today) but I think I'll be more successful trying this training than on my own.



(The dip was where I had to jog in place before crossing the street.)

Depending on my internet.. I'll be checking back in soon :)

3 Comments:

Michelle said...

Good job! That book looks good, I'll have to consider it. Have fun with your runs!

wendy said...

Hey! I'm so glad you got the book. It had me snot-crying lots of days, but sooo good, it motivated me to find the perfect group to run with.

I also do run/walk, and I listen for the beep on my two-interval timer, but I love the idea of designing a play list, so you'll have to share that for sure. =)

Great job on the golf game - I keep thinking I should take lessons, you're inspiring me. Maybe after I get my new job settled, only about 11 weeks left at this job, so hopefully something solid will turn up soon!

Irene said...

After you had mentioned the book on one of my blogposts, I looked it up. That's going on my list of books to read, for sure!

You know, I've never really tried golf, other than miniature golf - and that doesn't count. I need to try that as well!

Have a great week!

Golf Results

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online