Monday, July 14, 2008

It's Official!

I'm crazy. I'm nuts. I didn't do anything I should have. I was unprepared, untrained, and most definitely not ready... but I did it anyway. What you ask? Well my first 5K! How did that happen? Well last night I was looking up the golf even that I'm in tomorrow (a Cancer Society benefit) and I saw that there was a 5K being run this morning, about 20 minutes from where I live. I had figured that I was going to go run for 30 minutes (week 1) anyway, so why not go do it there? OK yeah, I know it was a bit much. Do I regret it? NOT A CHANCE!
I got a number. 474.
I've always wanted one of those. It made me feel like a real runner.
I didn't know anybody there, but quickly befriended 4 girls (women). Two were training for marathons, another is back after having kids, and the fourth - this was her first 5k too. (although she's been running a lot more than me).They warned me about not starting out too quick.Although my plan was to follow my week 1 routine and then just do whatever I could to finish the last mile.
Well my bra helped out with that. Have I mentioned my sports bras issues lately? I had found a good one, but it has these STUPID velcro straps. The left side keeps coming undone. It's very annoying. In fact I was finally so upset, that I ordered an ENELL bra last week - now if it would only get here! But anyway, I was not 50 yards into the race, feeling great, cruising with the others, when BAM, not only did the velcro come undone, but it completely came out of the front of the bra. So I was trying to keep at least a decent walking pace as I tried to feed the bra strap back through the bra. I even took off one of my safety pins to try to get it to hold, but it was too small. But I must say, as annoying as it was, it did keep me from going out to fast. I did make up some ground to keep a few of my new friends in view as I went. I kept at my own pace. I ran during the times I was supposed to, and more when I could. I figure I ran a minimum of 10 minutes, but realistically more like 15. Here is my run according to my iPod.

I did have one problem towards the end of the race. I ran the last loop backwards!! oops. It didn't matter though, I mean it was a LOOP. (and no one was really near me. (and I wasn't in medal contention :) ) ME FINISHING... RUNNING!Here are some more pics of me from the race (my new friends took some of me afterward, and the people in charge of the race took some, too.My official time was 46:09 And I'm ok with that. Now I know what I can do in a real situation, and I can work on it!! (especialy knowing the next one ought to be better without the wardrobe malfunction!!) I actually finished 6th in my age division (out of 8, but still) and I finished 94th out of 108 altogether. Not bad for my first venture :)

The weather was overcast, muggy and 80 degrees. I did get a little wet toward the end of the race (a few sprinkles) I was also proud of myself for pushing and running most of the last loop. Definitely making sure I ran through the finish line.

This last picture was of everyone standing around waiting for the race to begin.

My internet is still on the fritz so even though I'm posting this now, I actually wrote it last night.

6 Comments:

Michelle said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! Congratulations!! How incredible!! This is so exciting. I can't wait to see pictures. Can you believe you did it? What would you have thought if 5 years ago someone would have told you you would run in a 5k? I'm so proud of you right now!! Yay!!

Donna B said...

Congrats! That is GREAT! Anxious to see the pictures as well. Continue the training, and collect those numbers! Always wanted to do a 5K, but now that I have lost 50#'s and my weight is done, my knees are the problem! Guess I will have to do the walk that is done in the fall in our area instead.

Michelle said...

Great pictures! Your body is really changing. Keep it up!!

wendy said...

that's awesome you met some gal pals already...see how easy it is! This will encourage you to keep going, and meeting new friends, and eventually you'll find ones in a run club close to you, and perfect for you. Plus, as you get faster, and you will get faster, but please don't rush, enjoy this time!, anyhow, as you get faster, you will have bigger circles of friends to run with.

YAY!!!

Unknown said...

Way to Megan! Sorry I haven't keep up with you recently, I've fallen into that neither world known as drum corps again ;-) But I'm glad to see you're still at it and doing great!

Irene said...

Just now catching up with you! Love the pictures! Congratulations on your first run event!!!! You look really happy!

Golf Results

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online