Monday, June 30, 2008

All about Running

The Rules:

Tagging is easy. Just copy the following onto your post. The rules of the game are posted at the start of your blog post. In this case, I'm asking you 5 questions about running. Each player answers the 5 questions on their own blog. At the end of your post you tag 5 other people and post their names. Go to their blogs and leave a comment on their blogs telling them they've been tagged and to look at your blog for details. When they've answered the questions on their own blog, they come back to yours to tell you. Got that? This was copied from Michelle, the only person I know with a blog.

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
10 years ago, I didn't even think about running. I am a short, large busted woman. Even when I was not terribly overweight, the idea of me running was a joke. I tried a few times but it hurt. (part of that I now realize may have been because I didn't wear sports bras - but it's really hard to find them in my size) Seriously, 10 years ago, I "walked" for fitness, but the idea that I could run never even entered my head.

2. What is your best/worst running experience?
As of today I haven't had very many running experiences period. I can remember being in elementary school and chasing the boys around the playground. I remember I was fast, quicker than them. I remember running before gym class in middle school and crashing into a wall. OUCH!
But perhaps my worst running experience happened when I was in 7th grade. We were MADE to participate in Olympic Day. I remember being able to run when I was younger, but didn't realize how out of shape I really was. I was supposed to run the 50 yard dash, the shortest of the possible races. I came in DEAD LAST. I was mortified. I blamed it on the gravel track we were running on, I had no traction whatsoever. It was just very embarrassing - I was teased enough as it was, and now I had just waddled 50yards and came in last. I guess it was at that point that I came to the conclusion, "I just wasn't built for running." This is a picture of me around that time.

3. Why do you run?
In three words - Because I can! Now that I know it is possible for me to run, I love the feeling of running. I feel athletic, it makes me feel normal. I feel like I am BEING the person on the outside that I feel on the inside. I love the rush that comes from sprinting (which I do sparingly - until I'm in better shape) I can't explain the way it feels, running full force, the wind hitting me, as the ground rushes past underneath me.
In a less whimsical answer- I run to lose weight. I still have at least 50 pounds to go and running feels like a good workout and I've read that it's one of the BEST ways to exercise.

4. What is the best or worst piece of running advice that you've been given about running?

I don't know that I've really been given any advice on the matter. I guess to answer the question I would have to refer to my personal trainer who convinced me that I COULD RUN and that it was ok to start out slow and build my way up.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
Something surprising about me? Hmmm.. Something I learned- the hard way, running shoes hurt to walk in, it adds a little motivation to run more on my journeys. I guess really, most people wouldn't know that the person I am on the inside is vastly different from what I portray on the outside- although I am working on that. I see myself so differently from how I think others see me. It's one of the challenges of making this transformation while being surrounded by people who only know the old me- and expect me to BE the old me. I have an image in my head of who I want to be and how I want to be. I'm making changes... some progress.. but still have a long way to go.


I know I'm supposed to tag a bunch of people and tell them to come read this or something - but as I posted at the beginning- I don't know anyone besides Michelle. Hopefully through her I can meet some new people.

1 Comment:

Michelle said...

Oh, I want to hear more about the real you. Who are you on the inside. Sorry, it's my psychology degree, I can't help it :) While reading this I was thinking how glad I am that you've gotten back into running. You were so enjoying it before. You needed a break I bet but now you're here for the home stretch.

Oh, and I LOVE that picture of you when you were a kid. SO cute! It's sad how being a chubby kid can really color our whole childhood experience. That's the first thing I think of when I recall being in grade school. But we're grownups now and can think for ourselves and surround ourselves with people that love and support the real us on the inside :)

Golf Results

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online